Researcher's Information - National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences, NIAES
April 1, 2012
Carbon and Nutrient Cycles Division
Mitigation option of greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture fields
- Akiyama, H, Hayakawa, A, Sudo, S, Yonemura, S, Tanonaka, T, Yagi, K 2009: Automated sampling system for long-term monitoring of nitrous oxide and methane fluxes from soils. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 55, 435-440.
- Akiyama, H, Mctaggart, IP, Ball, BC, Scott, A 2004: N2O, NO, and NH3 emissions from soil after the application of organic fertilizers, urea and water. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 156, 113-129.
- Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H 2002: Effect of chemical fertilizer form on N2O, NO and NO2 fluxes from Andisol field. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 63, 219-230.
- Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H 2003: Effect of organic matter application on N2O, NO, and NO2 fluxes from an Andisol field. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 17.
- Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H 2003: Nitrous oxide, nitric oxide, and nitrogen dioxide fluxes from soils after manure and urea application. Journal of Environmental Quality, 32, 423-431.
- Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H, Watanabe, T 2000: N2O and NO emissions from soils after the application of different chemical fertilizers. Chemosphere - Global Change Science, 2, 313-320.
- Akiyama, H, Yagi, K, Yan, X 2005: Direct N2O emissions from rice paddy fields: Summary of available data. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 19.
- Akiyama, H, Yan, X, Yagi, K 2010: Evaluation of effectiveness of enhanced-efficiency fertilizers as mitigation options for N2O and NO emissions from agricultural soils: Meta-analysis. Global Change Biology, 16, 1837-1846.
- Akiyama, H, Yan, X, Yagi, K 2006: Estimations of emission factors for fertilizer-induced direct N2O emissions from agricultural soils in Japan: Summary of available data. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 52, 774-787.
- Cheng, W, Nakajima, Y, Sudo, S, Akiyama, H Tsuruta, H 2002: N2O and NO emissions from a field of Chinese cabbage as influenced by band application of urea or controlled-release urea fertilizers. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 63, 231-238.
- Cheng, W, Yagi, K, Akiyama, H, Nishimura, S, Sudo, S, Fumoto, T, Hasegawa, T, Hartley, AE, Megonigal, JP 2007: An empirical model of soil chemical properties that regulate methane production in Japanese rice paddy soils. Journal of Environmental Quality, 36, 1920-1925.
- Cheng, W, Tsuruta, H, Chen, G, Akiyama, H, Yagi, K 2004: N2O and N2 production potential in various Chinese agricultural soils by denitrification. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 50, 909-915.
- Ding, W, Yagi, K, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S, Nishimura, S 2007: Time-lagged induction of N2O emission and its trade-off with NO emission from a nitrogen fertilized Andisol. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 53, 362-372.
- Hayakawa, A, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S Yagi, K 2009: N2O and NO emissions from an Andisol field as influenced by pelleted poultry manure. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 41, 521-529.
- Hayashi, K, Hayakawa, A, Akiyama, H, Yagi, K 2009: Measurement of ammonia volatilization loss using a dynamic chamber technique: A case study of surface-incorporated manure and ammonium sulfate in an upland field of light-colored andosol. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 55, 571-581.
- Hoshino YT, Morimoto S, Hayatsu M, Nagaoka K, Suzuki C, Karasawa T, Takenaka M, Akiyama H 2011: Effect of soil type and fertilizer management on archaeal community in upland field soils, Microbes and Environments, 26(4), 307-316
- Hosono, T, Hosoi, N, Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H 2006: Measurements of N2O and no emissions during tomato cultivation using a flow-through chamber system in a glasshouse. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 75, 115-134.
- Hou, A, Akiyama, H, Nakajima, Y, Sudo, S, Tsuruta, H 2000: Effects of urea form and soil moisture on N2O and NO emissions from Japanese Andosols. Chemosphere - Global Change Science, 2, 321-327.
- Konohira, E, Yoh, M, Kubota, J, Yagi, K, Akiyama, H 2001: Effects of riparian denitrification on stream nitrate - evidence from isotope analysis and extreme nitrate leaching during rainfall. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 130, 667-672.
- Mctaggart, IP, Akiyama, H, Tsuruta, H, Ball, BC 2002: Influence of soil physical properties, fertiliser type and moisture tension on N2O and NO emissions from nearly saturated Japanese upland soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, 63, 207-217.
- Morimoto S, Hayatsu M, Hoshino YT, Nagaoka K, Yamazaki M, Karasawa T, Takenaka M, Akiyama H 2011: Quantitative analyses of ammonia-oxidizing archaea (AOA) and ammonia-oxidizing bacteria (AOB) in fields with different soil types, Microbes and Environments, 26(3), 248-253
- Minamikawa K, Hayakawa A, Nishimura S, Akiyama H, Yagi K 2011: Comparison of indirect nitrous oxide emission through lysimeter drainage between an Andosol upland field and a Fluvisol paddy field, Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 57(6), 843-854
- Nishimura, S, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S, Fumoto, T, Cheng W, and K. Yagi 2011: Combined emission of CH4 and N2O from a paddy field was reduced by preceding upland crop cultivation. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 57(1): 167 - 178.
- Nishimura, S, Sawamoto, T, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S, Cheng, W, Yagi, K 2005: Continuous, automated nitrous oxide measurements from paddy soils converted to upland crops. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 69, 1977-1986.
- Nishimura, S, Sawamoto, T, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S, Yagi, K 2004: Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from a paddy field with Japanese conventional water management and fertilizer application. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, 18.
- Nishimura, S, Sudo, S, Akiyama, H, Yonemura, S, Yagi, K, Tsuruta, H 2005: Development of a system for simultaneous and continuous measurement of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide fluxes from croplands based on the automated closed chamber method. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, 51, 557-564.
- Nishimura, S, Yonemura, S, Sawamoto, T, Shirato, Y, Akiyama, H, Sudo, S, Yagi, K 2008: Effect of land use change from paddy rice cultivation to upland crop cultivation on soil carbon budget of a cropland in Japan. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, 125, 9-20.
- Shimomura, Y, Morimoto S, Hoshino Ty, Uchida Y, Akiyama H, Hayatsu M 2012: Comparison among amoa primers suited for quantification and diversity analyses of ammonia-oxidizing bacteria in soil, Microbes and Environments, 27(1), 94-98
- Toyoda, S, Yano, M, Nishimura, S, Akiyama, H, Hayakawa, A, Koba, K, Sudo, S, Yagi, K, Makabe, A, Tobari, Y, Ogawa, NO, Ohkouchi, N, Yamada, K, and Yoshida, N 2011:. "Characterization and production and consumption processes of N2O emitted from temperate agricultural soils determined via isotopomer ratio analysis." Global Biogeochem. Cycles 25(2): GB2008, doi:10.1029/2009GB003769
- Yan, X, Akiyama, H, Yagi, K, Akimoto, H 2009: Global estimations of the inventory and mitigation potential of methane emissions from rice cultivation conducted using the 2006 intergovernmental panel on climate change guidelines. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 23.
- Yan, X, Yagi, K, Akiyama, H, Akimoto, H 2005: Statistical analysis of the major variables controlling methane emission from rice fields. Global Change Biology, 11, 1131-1141.
- Akiyama H, Uchida Y, Yamamoto A 2011: Mitigation options for methane and nitrous oxide from agricultural soil: From field measurement to evaluation of overall effectiveness , In Understanding Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Agricultural Managements, American Chemical Society, 165-178
- The Young Scientists' Prize, The Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, 2006
- Japanese Soil Science and Plant Nutrition Progress Awards, 2008
- Award for Young Agricultural Researchers, 2009