Researcher's Information - National Institute for Agro-Environmental Sciences, NIAES
April 1, 2011
Tetsuhisa MIWA, PhD
Director of the Ecosystem Informatics Division
At present I have a supervisory role as Head of the Ecosystem Informatics Division, where we carry out researches on
- Remote Sensing,
- Geographic Information Systems (GISs),
- Statistics, and
- Agri-environmental Indicators.
My research interests lie mainly in agricultural statistics, ranging from experimental design to data analysis. Recently I have been engaged in the field of multiple comparison procedures. For example, I provided a practical procedure that combines the advantages of one-sided and two-sided multiple comparison procedures in a paper published in the Journal of the American Statistical Association (1999). I also solved the long-standing problem of evaluating any normal distribution function in a paper published in the Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Ser. B (2003).
Doctor of engineering (Tokyo University, 1984)
The 2008 Award of the Biometric Society of Japan for Outstanding Scientific Contribution
Recent achievements (since 1997)
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2010).
The evaluation of non-centred orthant probabilities for singular multivariate normal distributions, Proceedings of COMPSTAT'2010 -- 19th International Conference on Computational Statistics (ed. by Y. Lechevallier and Saporta, G.), Physica-Verlag (ISBN 978-3-7908-2603-6), 1391 -- 1396.
- Xuefei Mi, Tetsuhisa Miwa and Torsten Hothorn (2009). mvtnorm: New Numerical Algorithm for Multivariate Normal Probabilities, The R Journal, 1, No. 1, 37 -- 39.
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2008). Basic principles of multiple test procedures, Japanese Journal of Biometrics, 29, No. S1, 5 -- 14.
- Takashi Otani, Nobuyasu Seike and Tetsuhisa Miwa (2006). Levels of Dioxins in Rice, Wheat, Soybean, and Adzuki Bean Cultivated in 1999 to 2002 in Japan and Estimation of Their Intake, Journal of Food Hygienics Society of Japan, 47, No. 4, 182 -- 188.
- Nobuyasu Seike, Tetsuhisa Miwa, Takashi Otani and Masako Ueji (2005). Levels of dioxins in Japanese fruit in 1999 to 2002 and estimation of their intake, Journal of Food Hygienics Society of Japan, 46, No. 6, 256 -- 262.
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2004). A normalising transformation of noncentral F variables with large noncentrality parameters, COMPSTAT 2004 -- Proceedings in Computational Statistics: 16th Symposium held in Prague, 2004 (ed. Antoch, J.), New York: Physica-Verlag (ISBN 3-7908-1554-3), 1497-1501.
- Tetsuhisa Miwa, A. J. Hayter and Satoshi Kuriki (2003). The evaluation of general non-centred orthant probabilities, Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Ser. B, 65, 223 -- 234.
- Anthony Hayter, Tetsuhisa Miwa and Wei Liu (2001). Efficient directional inference methodologies for the comparisons of three ordered treatment effects, Journal of the Japan Statistical Society, 31, 153 -- 174.
- Paul Somerville, Tetsuhisa Miwa, Wei Liu and A. J. Hayter (2001). Combining one-sided and two-sided confidence interval procedures for successive comparisons of ordered treatment effects, Biometrical Journal, 43, 533 -- 542.
- Tetsuhisa Miwa, A. J. Hayter and Wei Liu (2000). Calculations of level probabilities for normal random variables with unequal variances with applications to Bartholomew's test in unbalanced one-way models, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Vol. 34, No. 1, 17 -- 32.
- Wei Liu, Tetsuhisa Miwa and A.J. Hayter (2000). Simultaneous confidence interval estimation for successive comparisons of ordered treatment effects, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Vol. 88, Issue 1, 75 -- 86.
- A. J. Hayter, Tetsuhisa Miwa and Wei Liu (2000). Combining the Advantages of One-sided and Two-sided Procedures for Comparing Several Treatments with a Control, Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, Vol. 86, Issue 1, 81 -- 99.
- Miwa, T. and Hayter, A. J. (1999). Combining the advantages of one-sided and two-sided test procedures for comparing several treatment effects, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 94, 302 -- 307.
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (1998). Bartholomew's test as a multiple contrast test and its applications, Japanese Journal of Biometrics, 19, 1 -- 9 (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (1997). Controversy over multiple comparisons in agricultural researches, Japanese Journal of Applied Statistics, Vol. 26, No. 2, 99 -- 109 (in Japanese).
- Alan Genz, Frank Bretz, Tetsuhisa Miwa, Xuefei Mi, Friedrich Leisch, Fabian Scheipl and Torsten Hothorn (2009). mvtnorm: Multivariate Normal and t Distributions (R package version 0.9-7), http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=mvtnorm.
- Tomoyuki Hakamata, Tetsuhisa Miwa and Kouji Yamamura (1998). Problems in application of mathematical statistics on soil science and plant nutrition in Japan, 1. The outline of the problems and objectives of this paper, Japanese Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, Vol. 69, No. 4, 410 -- 415 (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa, Tomoyuki Hakamata and Kouji Yamamura (1998). Problems in application of mathematical statistics on soil science and plant nutrition in Japan, 2. Design of experiments in soil science, Japanese Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, Vol. 69, No. 5, 531 -- 537 (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa and Tomoyuki Hakamata (1999). Problems in application of mathematical statistics on soil science and plant nutrition in Japan, 5. Regression and correlation, Japanese Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, Vol. 70, No. 2, 201 -- 206 (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2010). Dictionary of biology (2 entries including "multiple comparisons" etc), Tokyo: Tokyo-Kagaku-Doujin (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2010). Dictionary of medical statistics (8 entries including "experimental designs" etc), Tokyo: Asakura (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa (2005). Dictionary of plant breeding (18 entries including "experimental designs" etc), Tokyo: Baihukan (in Japanese).
- Tetsuhisa Miwa, Wataru Takahashi and Seishi Ninomiya (2002). Analysis of remotely sensed data by PLS regression, 187 -- 194 in Multivariate analysis handbook, Tokyo: Asakura (in Japanese).
- Shuichi Kitada, Masakazu Jinbo, Shouichi Tanaka, Masami Miyakawa and Tetsuhisa Miwa (2002) Data sampling, Tokyo: Kyoritsu, 228pp. (in Japanese).